Every year, our child grows one year older, we change as human beings, and life around us changes as well. That’s why it’s so important, every now and again to look back and evaluate how we’ve been parenting and what direction we want to head towards for the future. And what better time than the new year!
Here are a few questions to help us. Try and answer them as specifically and in detail as you can.
Reflecting on our parenting:
- What are areas of growth have I seen in my child over the last year? (eg. My child has improved so much in learning to respond to and regulate her emotions in situations that are hard for her)
- What are areas of growth have I seen in myself as a parent over the last year? (e.g. I’ve learnt to not let it get to me personally when someone comments about my child’s behaviour)
- What are things I’ve found difficult with regards to parenting my child last year? (e.g. I react very strongly when my child says something that hurts me)
- What are things I’ve really enjoyed doing with my child last year? (I had lots of fun doing the train project with my child)
- What are areas I want to see my child grow in during the coming year?
- In terms of character: (e.g. gratitude)
- In terms of skills: (e.g. learning to make breakfast, swimming, etc.)
- What are some concrete steps I will take to help my child grow in these areas? (e.g. we will make a gratitude jar and write something to put in every day)
- What are some areas I want to see myself grow in as a parent? (e.g. patience, spending more quality time with my child, working together with my spouse in parenting, etc.)
- What are some concrete steps I will take to help me grow in these areas? (e.g. count to ten before reacting in a difficult situation with my child, take my child out alone for special time every Tuesday evening, talk to my spouse every Sunday nights about parenting)
Hope you find these helpful. Happy New Year and happy parenting!